Career in Food Science: Learn about courses and jobs in food science
Diet is an important part of everyone’s life. It is very important to have a healthy diet to stay healthy. Junk food such as burgers, pizzas, etc. are being severely criticized worldwide. These foods are making people overweight, leading to many diseases. The food manufacturing industry is trying to make its products healthier every day. In such a situation, the demand for food experts has increased a lot.
Plenty of opportunities are available in this area. To make a career in it, it is mandatory to pass 12th in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics or Home Science. After this, one can do Bachelor Degree in Food Science, Chemistry or Microbiology. This course is of four years. After doing Bachelor degree, one can also do advance degree in food chemistry, manufacturing process and other fields. Apart from this, diplomas in Dietetics and Nutrition and Food Science and Public Health Nutrition can also be done.
If you have completed graduation course then you can also do MSc in above subjects. There is also a lot of scope for conducting research studies in this area. Students pursuing higher education also get a lot of opportunities in this field.
By giving All India Joint Entrance Exam, candidates can do B.Tech degree in food technology and bio-chemical science from government colleges. At the same time, to get admission in IIT, one has to pass the JEE Main and JEE Advanced exams. One will get admission in IISc Bengaluru through Get Food Technology Entrance Exam. Apart from this, all private institutions conduct entrance tests at their level.
– These professionals should have complete knowledge of food science and should also have the skill to implement it during the production process.
– These professionals should have good knowledge of business. Apart from this, his knowledge of analytical and mathematics should also be better.
– There should not be a lack of confidence in these professionals, as they have to work independently most of the time.
– These professionals have to study food items a lot, so their ability to work with computer skills and new technology should also be better.
– These professionals should have good ability to concentrate, so that even the smallest information related to food is not left out of their eyes.
– It is essential to have special information about health, safety and cleanliness as well.
– These professionals have to work for the producers and also keep in constant contact with them, so their communication skills should also be good. These professionals should have good ability to work in teams.
– The correct nutritional elements for food labeling have to be given.
– One has to search for ways to keep food fresh, safe and attractive.
– There is also a responsibility to find ways to save time and money during cooking.
– Everyday tasks have to check the quality and safety of foods.
– It is also their responsibility to experiment with new ingredients and to manufacture new foods.
– They have to be used in the lab and prepare sample products.
– They are also responsible for designing from the production process and testing the machine.
– These professionals have to work with engineers, production and marketing experts to solve any problem faced in the manufacture of the product.
They are also responsible for checking and monitoring the material used in the product before manufacture.
– Many food scientists do quality control in the processing plant. It is also their responsibility to monitor the entire construction process.
– Their job is to make a production schedule and prepare a system for cleanliness.
These professionals can get jobs in food departments of Government of India besides many big companies.
Starting in this field, you can get a salary of 20 to 25 thousand rupees per month. After earning five years of experience, you get a package ranging from 5 to 6.4 lakh rupees annually. As experience increases, salaries can range from Rs 9 to 18 lakhs annually. Jobs in this sector are expected to grow at the rate of seven percent for the next 10 years.
Given the huge demand of people in the field of food science and technology, making a career in it may be a better option. Ankit Satyarth is telling how to make a career in this fast emerging field
Can do this course
– BSC Food Science and Technology
– MSc Food and Nutrition
– B.Tech Food Processing and Food Technology
– B.Sc in Home Science
– M.Sc Biotechnology
– M.Tech in Food Technology
– M.Tech in Food and Nutrition
– Certificate Course in Food Processing * and Preservation
– Diploma in Food Processing
– Diploma in Food Preservation
– Diploma in Food Preservation and Technology
– PhD in Food Preservation
– PhD in Biotechnology
– Central Food Technological Research Institute
– Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology
– National Agri Food Biotechnology Institute
– Rajasthan Technical University, Kota
– National Institute of Nutrition
– National Dairy Research Institute
– SRM University
– Anna University